If you haven’t already, you should schedule an appointment with one of our new career coaches. Not sure what they are all about? Check out these brief bios.
- Earned an MBA from the University of California, Irvine
- Spent 30 years at IBM in client facing roles in technical sales and consulting, then product management and marketing
- As a consultant, solved complex business problems related to data networking for large organizations earning the highest level IBM client facing title
- Was an IT architect that kept at the forefront of technology as well as a celebrated practitioner in the dark arts as a competitive intelligence analyst
- A published author and frequent speaker at customer and industry conferences
What in particular can you talk to Steve about?
- MIS, Economics, Consulting, and Government careers
- Discovering the specific type of career you want to pursue
- The experiences you need to qualify for that career
- How to position yourself as a competitive candidate
A Fun Fact About Steve:
He’s gone sailing in Greece, the Mediterranean, and Southern California, but now that he’s in Tucson, he can only think about sailing.
- Received his BA degree in Judaic Studies and Political Science from the University of California, San Diego, and his Juris Doctorate from the University of San Diego
- Practiced as a business, real estate and estate planning attorney for many years
- Was an executive and consultant for non-profit organizations, helping them to establish and develop fundraising and planned-giving programs
- Authored a book on fund development for the American Library Association and has written extensively for newsletters in the field
- Has also been employed in the banking and mortgage industries
What in particular can you talk to Matt about?
- Careers in the nonprofit sector
- Graduate school, including law school
- The legal environment that international students must face in terms of getting a job and/or immigrating to the U.S.
- Figuring out your passions, interests, and values and how to use them in deciding upon career
A Fun Fact about Matt:
He loves to play chess and is currently seeking chess partners.
- Received her B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Arizona
- Spent 30 years in professional sales, marketing, system design and project management at several firms including AT&T, Lucent Technologies, Avaya and US West/CenturyLink
- Has worked with a wide range of clients, from Fortune 100 companies to a small local businesses
- Holds an Arizona State Real Estate license since 1985
- Returned to the University of Arizona two years ago, working in the UTIS department as a customer service advisor
What in particular can you talk to Nancy about?
- Sales careers, as related to your major
- Planning for the future in terms of identifying skills, setting goals, and creating a road map
- Interview strategies
- Constructing resumes and cover letters
A fun fact about Nancy:
She has worked part-time in the fitness department at Canyon Ranch for the last 24 years.
- Holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Management from the University of Arizona Eller College with a major in marketing and a certificate in international business
- Was the program coordinator of Better Than Ever, a multi-tiered fitness training and cancer research fundraising program at the UA Cancer Center, primarily in managing relationships with volunteers, donors, and corporate sponsors
- Under her leadership, the program funded close to $500,000 in research grants
- Worked as a marketing consultant for a local bio-tech startup company
- Was a communications associate for the Tucson Osteopathic Medical Foundation
What in particular can you talk to Marisa about?
- Marketing careers
- How to get started on your career path
- Types of activities that you can be involved in now to help prepare for your future
- Interview practice
A fun fact about Marisa:
She has run a marathon and has great advice on how to prepare for one.
- Graduated with both her Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Master of Accounting degrees from the University of Arizona Eller College and a minor in Music, playing in the French horn Studio in the School of Music
- Served as the President of Beta Alpha Psi, the professional accounting honorary, during her time as an undergrad
- Completed an auditing internship at Deloitte in Las Vegas before entering the masters program
- Recently completed all four sections of the CPA exam, pending further experience to earn certification
- Currently teaching courses equivalent to ACCT 200 and 210 at the Air Force Base
What in particular can you talk to Melissa about?
- Accounting careers, especially what is available aside from public accounting
- Advice on processes such as interviews and applications related to the accounting program
- Searching for careers outside of the local area
- CPA exam advice
A fun fact about Melissa:
She loves to ride her road bike, and has participated in the Tour de Cure 100K for the past two years.
- Graduated with a BA in Communications and a minor in Marketing from the University of Arizona
- Also has a master’s degree in Elementary Education as well as an advanced HR Certification
- Worked with Enterprise Holdings in Management and Human Resources
- Has recruited for Enterprise on the UA campus, so she is familiar with the employer’s point of view in terms of what makes a qualified job candidate
- Experience working in sales, training, and instruction
What in particular can you talk to Erica about?
- Management careers and rotational leadership development programs
- Company employment processes
- Exploring internship and career opportunities
- Interview practice and resumes
A fun fact about Erica:
She loves to try interesting recipes, so please share if you have a good one.
So there you have it: six new career coaches, each with extensive knowledge, a variety of experiences, and unique and valuable insights. Besides that, they are simply wonderful people to talk to. They are here to help you not only to discover a career path, but also to discover yourself—what are your strengths, your values, your passions? And how do you use these things to position yourself as a competitive candidate? Schedule an appointment on eSMS to find out! (Go to New Appointments –> Career and Professional Development Advising)